Thursday 13 December 2012

If Caroline Mutoko Apologizes, She would be demeaning herself


As expected, the most successful radio queen in Kenya,Caroline Mutoko ,recently got a heated backlash from angry social media family for her facebook sentiments after a fan posted on her wall. Well, I may not agree with the way she handled the matter 100% but one thing is indeed for sure, many of the social media users use it wrongly. The cold war waged against her is preposterous. We demonstrated our idleness by throwing abuses at her rather than discussing issues.
For instance, that post could have provided a platform for discussing Safaricom in detail. Indeed, personally, I have felt the pinch of Safaricom for a long time and nothing would thrill me more than asking Bob Collymore why the tariffs are excruciating high. The reply from the Caroline was unexpected. First, she referred the lady as idle for posting on her wall. She did not generalize. If she did, then, she would be in the same bunch of idlers. She particularly referred to the lady.
The war directed to Caroline is hatred that is baseless. Members of the social media were actually waiting for such an opportune moment to pour out their venom that was held for a long time. Others even went ahead to form pages that specifically wishing her an unforeseen demise. That is hatred. That is pathetic and hurting. The engineers of such pages, I assume, have got parents or people they care about. How will you feel someone wishing them death? Not good. Don’t you think that she has a family.People who look upto her? They were hurt.
As much as she made a mistake, I feel that she should not apologize. Infact, Kenyans should ask for her forgiveness. Am talking about those who actively threw abuses at her. She is an outstanding iron lady, who has achieved so much. Many think that she is full of braggadocio, proud and bad. Well, I think she is not. She is just being herslf. She is rich. She worked to reach where she is for a long time.
 Social media is a platform that has a double aged sword. It can be used to completely destroy someone or create them. Listen to her show, do you know how much impact she has had for our society. Take time. Don’t haul your abuses to her even when you do not really know the update she made. I believe many of you, did not see. You were just abusing out of hate. Read keenly the exact text below and from there make your judgment whether to abuse or indeed shut up.

Well, here is the tex that landed her into trouble;


Okey - I let the average idle person vent as much as they need to on social media, I'm alright with the fact that you probably have nothing else of value to do with your time. However, here's where I draw the line:

1. You will not use my wall to be mediocre & hide behind your bogus pseudonym to insult the CEO of any organisation, or anyone else for that matter. I don't care what your beef is. You don't get to do that here.


2. Safaricom has a FB page. Use it.

3. Bob Collymore - Mr. Collymore has a twitter handle - use it.

4. It's a freaking free country, you don't like s'thing move on. Don't waste my time & yours posting filth on my wall.

5. Have the basic skill to refer to me by my name. It's at the top of the page for easy reference. I don't know who caro is.

6. By all means raise issues about our clients/advertisers, what you will not do is apply the same bottom feeder behavior you reserve for bigotry & politics to slander business entities. Not here.

And yes, our advertisers ALL bar none, contribute to our bottomline, therefore I make no apologies for being in their corner. Incidentally, I did ask Safaricom if I should take this nonsense down & they said no.


But this is MY page.

You want to be rude, abusive & base, go elsewhere. 
I don't need you, not now, not ever.

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment